How To Protect Your Skin

Hello Naked Beauties! Last week we talked about why protecting your skin from the sun is so important. This week we’re going to touch on how you can do that.

The number one best way to protect your skin from the sun is to wear clothing that is thick enough to protect from the sun’s UV rays. This technique is very effective, however it is somewhat unrealistic. I mean, how many of us want to lay out on the beach with a full body suit and face mask on? I would bet that none of us are willing to sign up for that. That’s where sunscreen comes in.


The first form of “sunscreen” was invented in 1944 by an airman/physicist named Benjamin Green. He used red veterinary petrolatum as a physical barrier between the skin and the sun’s rays. It proved to be effective, and was used for soldiers in battle during World War II. Throughout the years, it has evolved in many amazing ways. Thank goodness we no longer have to use such a heavy, greasy cream. I can’t imagine how many breakouts it would cause.

This month’s Naked Beauty Box super star is:

Soon Skincare All Day Broad Spectrum SPF

This amazing sunscreen has broad spectrum protection and is SPF 50. It shields your skin not only from UV rays, but also fluorescent, blue and damaging infrared light from electronics. It is formulated with extra antioxidant support as there is Vitamin C and E added to protect from free radicals and outdoor pollution.

There are two key types of sunscreen: chemical and mineral. The Soon Skincare All Day Broad Spectrum SPF is a chemical sunscreen. You can tell whether your sunscreen is chemical or mineral by looking at the ingredient list.

Some of the key ingredients in this sunscreen are: Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octocrylene 10%, and Octyl Salicylate 5%.

This lets us know that it is indeed a chemical sunscreen.

Both chemical and mineral sunscreens are effective, they’re simply made of different materials, and they work in different ways. Chemical sunscreens can be made out of a wide range and list of ingredients, whereas mineral sunscreens are only made out of the active ingredient zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

You might be wondering how a little cream on your skin can make the whole world of difference. Here’s how: Both chemical and mineral sunscreen primarily work by absorbing into the skin and turning the UV rays into heat. The only difference between the two is that chemical sunscreen absorbs 100% of the UV rays that come at the skin, and mineral sunscreen only absorbs about 95%. The other 5% get sent back out.

It is very important to know how to apply your sunscreen. These are some helpful tips:

1. Put sunscreen liberally over every inch of exposed skin 15 minutes prior to going outside.

2. Blend the sunscreen in with your fingertips for even and effective coverage.

3. Remember to reapply at least every two hours, and more frequently if you are excessively sweating or swimming.

We hope you enjoy this month’s sunscreen! Comment down below if you have any sunscreen tips to share.

powered by bulletin